Archive for the 'My experiments' Category

School experiment

Being in my chemistry course sooner this day, I realised something really weird which then made sense to me. I was looking at the board while the teacher was teaching when it came. I didn’t really enjoyed taking notes. I would have been fine just looking at the board and understanding what is was teaching us, but taking note at the same time didn’t helped. So I’ve just thought about what if I was just there listening, not taking notes of any sorts. I would only be doing exercices given on the board.

Then, I would take notes from a fellow and use them as references for later use just in case I don’t remember what we learned.

If you want to learn at your full potential, you must have an interest in what you learn. At the same time, you must enjoy how it is taught to you. There are many parameters which needs to be filled in order to make sure you’ll have full retention over the subject your are learning.

Here’s what I would suggest: You’d go to your course and take no notes at all. All you do is exercices when asked for.
If teacher could support this method, teacher would give the resume of the course at the beginning with notes you would have generally taken during the course.

Removing note taking stress out of your learning curve is a really great improvement. But be sure you have notes to back you up just in case. You never know when you might have a blank.

My marketing experiment

Being a total newbie in this field, I thought it would be a great challenge for me to test my learning skills in a new domain. Having interest in money, I just jumped right into one of the most known career related to money, other than business man: marketing. This is my experiment: I will try to get a website I’ll have made be #1 in Google using a keyword that is used really often. Words like science or technology. Something that is being search a lot and that is already being marketed “enough”. Let see if it’s possible to move those “experts in the field”… Results shall be given in approximately 1-6 months depending on the success. The sooner, the better.

K2 Optimized

Since I began my journey to SEO, I’ve learned many things such as keyword optimisation, use of

tags and much more. One important aspect of SEO is having optimized page, and since I’m trying to promote my blog, I had to look at this point. With a quick test, I realised that K2 template wasn’t optimized to give a fast result, giving many spaces between codes which makes the file size bigger. Let’s take this for example: I went to my Be different post, saved the page using the save as option included in any browser. I opened the page using notepad and looked for empty spaces. File size at the beginning (no edit): 20.05 KB File size after empty space removal (edit) : 19.85 KB File size after Google Anaylitics removal (edit) 19.63 KB This is 0.30 KB, not big but makes a difference for slow bandwidth users. Also, take into consideration I started with a 20.05 KB page. 0.30 KB over 20.05 equals 1.5% of “used bandwidth for code”. Make that go on a 500 KB page and you get 7.5 KB. I know that’s small gain, but it’s only one step closer to a smaller file size. I want my pages to load in less than 2 seconds. Then I checked at the content in my folder related to this internet file. I had Google Analytics in my source code so I could get statistics about the users, but the file is 17.6 KB. I decided to remove this part of my code since Google Analytics wasn’t providing me the kind of statistics I was looking for (even though they are good, but I want public stats). So far, I’ve been able to save 17.9 KB from only two modification (one that you might not be able to do though). [NOTE] Not to my surprise, by removing both LiveSearch and AJAX comments in the K2 option panel, my speed improved greatly. LiveSearch wasn’t that important but AJAX commenting was a nice feature, but not worth the speed improvement I get from removing it. I also started using CSS Compress. Can’t really tell how much it is efficent though.